HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

UGLY by Constance Briscoe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Uri
High Guardian

Female
Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: UGLY by Constance Briscoe   Sun 9 Sep - 10:56

This is a lawyer's memoir with a difference, an inspiring antidote to the usual catalogue of tedious milestones towards legal eminence. Constance Briscoe's youth was as different from a typical lawyer's upbringing as it was possible to get. Brought up poor and loveless in south London by a mother who disliked and abused her, physically and emotionally, and a stepfather who abused her too, she went to schools that failed to recognise her intelligence and abilities. As if that wasn't enough, she was seen by all around her, and regarded herself as - in the title of her autobiography - Ugly ... She is now a highly regarded barrister and was among the first black women to become a recorder, a part-time judge. She's also managed - a rare feat for a lawyer - to write an absorbing book in language untainted by convoluted legal-speak.

Reference: - Internet...forgot which site

I have read the book, and it does inspire me. By reading the book, I not only feel how lucky I am but also I asked myself why and how a mother could ever hate her child as such...Mother, I think, is the greatest title a woman can have. The love that she can give is so unlimited. But why, does the mother here, obviously had none for Constance...She was ill treated by I think everyone in her family except some people from the outside.
I won't say "Enjoy this book" but rather "Read it, it would show your way to success."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tinguri.deviantart.com/
jedi_girl
Scout

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: UGLY by Constance Briscoe   Sun 9 Sep - 20:41

OH!! It seems really nice! Could you please lend it to me, Uri? It would be really interesting for me, given that it's related to the career that I want
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uri
High Guardian

Female
Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2007-01-31

PostSubject: Re: UGLY by Constance Briscoe   Sun 9 Sep - 20:53

Oh...I am sorry...mine is translated in chinese (as always)....or at least if you can understand....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tinguri.deviantart.com/
Nataku
The Ripper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2006-11-08

PostSubject: Re: UGLY by Constance Briscoe   Mon 10 Sep - 22:49

My mother banned me from reading any book this term Sad ...because once I start reading I forget everything else, only the book matters... I guess it's for my own good... Uri has interesting books, but most , if not all, of them are in chinese Suspect Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UGLY by Constance Briscoe   

Back to top Go down

UGLY by Constance Briscoe
Page 1 of 1